In preparation for the 90th Academy Awards in March, Apple has updated the iTunes Store with a variety of discounts for films that have previously won an Oscar, including $19.99 movie bundles based on the categories they triumphed within, as well as numerous others available to buy for less than $10 each.
The main “Award Winning” collections provide four classic movies for $19.99, with each themed on a specific category. Eight bundles are offered, with classic and contemporary collections for Best Picture, Best Actor, and Best Actress accompanied by separate bundles for Dramas and Musicals.
The iTunes Store is also listing previous winners from two writing-related categories in its movie store, with all items on the lists priced below $10 individually.
The list of winners for Best Adapted Screenplay on offer for under $10 includes the story of Facebook “The Social Network,” as well as “The Imitation Game” starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Kiera Knightly, and classics such as “Kramer Vs. Kramer,” “Dances With Wolves,” and “To Kill a Mockingbird.”
Under Best Original Screenplay Winners, Apple has included the Bill Murray hit “Lost in Translation,” “Her,” and “Django Unchained” on the list of 28 films that won the category in previous years. “Little Miss Sunshine,” “Good Will Hunting,” and “The Sting” are other notable films in the collection.
All of the movies on the two lists and the four-film bundles are offered in HD with standard definition versions also available. In many cases for the singular film offers, there are options to rent the film at a lower cost instead of buying it outright.
Apple has also created a page listing films nominated for Academy Awards, which will be handed out on March 4 during a live broadcast on ABC. The nominees page includes links to buy and pre-order films, as well as music nominated for the Best Original Song category, with top contenders including horror “Get Out,” Denzel Washington’s “Roman J. Israel, Esq.,” and Pixar’s “Coco.”
Award Winning Collections (4 Films) for $19.99
- Classic Best Picture Collection (Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, An American in Paris, Ben-Hur)
- Contemporary Best Picture Collection (Argo, Unforgiven, The Departed, Chariots of Fire)
- Classic Best Actor Collection (Yankee Doodle Dandy, Captains Courageous, Sergeant York, The Philadelphia Story)
- Contemporary Best Actor Collection (The Aviator, Shine, Mystic River, Training Day)
- Classic Best Actress Collection (Gaslight, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Jezebel, Cabaret)
- Contemporary Best Actress Collection (Driving Miss Daisy, The Blind Side, Million Dollar Baby, The Color Purple)
- Award Winning Drama Collection (Gravity, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Network)
- Award Winning Musical Collection (Gigi, The Great Ziegfeld, Singin’ In the Rain, An American in Paris)
Under $10 – Adapted Screenplay Oscar Winners
Under $10 – Best Original Screenplay Oscar Winners